Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Sunny, Warm, Windy Day




"If you don't like the weather, wait a minute." Being a New Englander, I've heard that all my life. It seems that in the last few years, the extremes come back to back more often. Last night, the temperature rose. By midnight, it was 68 degrees and the dewpoint was 66. It was actually muggy and uncomfortable for sleeping. It didn't just rain, it poured. That part is good, we still need the rain. But muggy on October 19th? That is odd.

As you can see from the photo below, the little pond came dangerously close to drying up this year. I was worried about the frogs and turtles. Normally, the water level is just about even with the top of the far bank.




Today is warm, sunny and windy. I'm afraid this weather is taking its toll on the foliage. We lost a lot of leaves in the heavy rain. Now with the wind, it has been raining leaves all day. Despite the crazy weather changes over the last 24 hours, today has turned into one beauty of a day.

I decided I better get some pictures of the foliage before it has all fallen to the ground. These were all taken from my yard. I'll be posting more later. My photos don't do the foliage justice. It sure is pretty around here.


4 comments:

Michele | aka Raw Juice Girl said...

Thanks for the weather update, Tina, and the photos are just gorgeous! I love fall (and spring). They're my two favorite seasons ;0)

Smiles,
Michele

Mary said...

Tina,

The photos are beautiful. Here we have very few colored leaves. Most of the yellow ones are on the ground but many trees are still green.

Glad you got some much needed rain. We've had rain off and on the last couple of weeks, but nothing like the wet fall we had last year.

It was windy but warm here today. In fact we've set a record for the warmest autumn on record. Imagine, Brandon wore his shorts today when we were out and about.

Thanks for sharing this peek into your corner of the country. I always enjoy my visits here.

Hugs,
Mary

Tina Coruth said...

Hi Michele,

Thank you! Spring and fall are my two favorite seasons, too. If not for my love of birdwatching and stargazing, I would hibernate through the winter and the summer! LOL

Tina

Tina Coruth said...

Mary,

Thank you! I think you are located at a lower latitude than we are. It seems the colors start appearing at the higher latitudes first. It should be very pretty in your area soon!

Today is very summer-like. It's expected to reach 80 degrees. That really is unusual for us this far into October.

I bet Brandon was happy to be able to wear his summer clothes! Nice weather for visiting the farm, too.

Hugs,
Tina